Vanity Numbers for Your Business
Custom Toll Free Numbers
Search for a Custom Toll Free Number
- Get customized vanity numbers
- Transfer existing vanity numbers
- Get toll free 800, 888, 877 or 866 numbers instantly
- 30 Day Money Back Guarantee!
See How it Works in 2 Minutes
Grasshopper lets you run your business using your cell phones!
The Entrepreneur’s Phone System
Running a business has changed. As entrepreneurs, we're starting businesses from home, shared offices, even our dorm rooms. While being so flexible is great for productivity and cost savings, it makes it more challenging to stay connected to our customers and our team.
The Busy Attorney
Some attorneys are just too busy to answer all their calls, which is why they love getting their voicemails transcribed and emailed to them.
Sound more professional with vanity numbers
Considering a vanity number for your business? A vanity number will not only help your business sound more professional but also look more professional.
Vanity numbers are easy to remember so they're great for companies who do business over the phone on a national level or those who spend a lot of money on display advertising, like a billboard. Relying on customers to remember the 10 digit number they just saw on a billboard as they pass on the highway is simply unrealistic. Expecting them to remember something like 1-800-Flowers as they drive by makes a lot more sense.
Vanity numbers are great for business, but there is definitely an art to picking your number.
Here are a few tips for picking the perfect vanity number:
- Make it easy to remember.
- It is all about the letters, so avoiding numbers at all costs is your best bet.
- Example: 1-800-Flowers.
- Communicate what your business does.
- They are an extension of your brand. Use your number to tell people what you do like 1-800-Contacts does. There's no confusion over what they sell there!
- Avoid unique spellings.
- One of the big benefits is that it's easy to remember. Don't make it hard to remember by getting creative using a "Z" instead of an "S." For example: Using "catz" when "cats" isn't available.
- Avoid hybrid numbers.
- It's a lot easier to remember 1-800-GoFedEx than 1-800-876-Ship because people still have to remember the 876.
Keeping those tips in mind, coming up with a vanity number is easy! The hard part is finding it. These numbers have been around since the early '90s so a lot of common numbers have been taken and used. Luckily, there are 5 toll free prefixes to work with, 1-800, 1-888, 1-877, 1-866, and the newest, 1-855, so you have more options than just the traditional 1-800 prefix.
Vanity numbers can have a great impact on your business so be sure to choose the best one for your company!
Frequently asked questions about vanity numbers:
What is a vanity number?
It is a custom toll free number that spells a word of mnemonic to make it easier for customers to remember your number.
What are the benefits of a vanity number?
- Easy to remember
- Look more professional
- Lends credibility to your business
- Great marketing/branding tool
How to get a vanity number
- Choose a number. Try to use your company name or industry related term (think 1-800 FLOWERS) and to keep it simple and easy to remember.
- Choose a provider and check availability. A phone service like Grasshopper can check vanity number availability and provide you with the best options.
- Purchase the number. Once you have chosen a service provider and an available number, all that’s left is to buy it!
Can I send and receive text messages with my 800 number?
You bet! Grasshopper now offers Business SMS on both toll free and local numbers.
What are some additional features that Grasshopper offers?
We provide all the same features and functionality that a proper business phone system would provide. You can get 800 numbers, toll free numbers, vanity numbers, or even local phone numbers through us. Since Grasshopper is a cloud based phone system, there’s no hardware or wires to worry about.
What 800 number prefixes does Grasshopper offer?
Will Grasshopper help me with any other areas of my business?
While we do not directly provide other business services, we do publish content regularly designed to help small business owners start and operate their businesses more efficiently. We have created a guide called JUMP which will help walk entrepreneurs through starting and growing their business. We also have a guide specifically for growing a local business as well! We cover other topics such as business equity more in depth as well. Grasshopper also compares various business tools and products, such as comparing online payment solutions for businesses such as PayPal and Amazon.
More content from our blog We publish marketing insights and tips 3 times a week:
Join the Conversation with Grasshopper
Over 300,000 Happy Customers Served
Here's what a few of them have to say about Grasshopper
I am now a huge fan of Grasshopper… truly saved the day (and my sanity).Carolyn Appleton Carolyn M. Appleton, Inc.
Having a phone number on our site increased conversion of site visitors to sign ups and paid users!Allan Branch LessAccounting